A well balanced diet, minimizing sweets and sugared beverages is important. Hard, crunchy and sticky foods should not be eaten to avoid damaging your braces.
Stay Away from Hard Foods Like:
• Peanut Brittle
• Corn Chips
• Ice (chewing)
• Pizza Crust
• Hard Candy
Hard foods may do damage by bending wires, loosening cement under the brackets and bands or breaking the little brackets and tubes which have been attached.
Avoid Sticky Foods Like:
• Fruit Cakes
• Fruit Roll-Ups
• Gummy Candy
• Dried Fruits
Sticky Foods damage appliances by bending wires and pulling brackets or bands loose.
Brush/Rinse Immediately After Sweets Like:
• Soda Pop
• Shakes and Malts
• Ice Cream
• Cake & Pie
• Presweetened Cereals
High sugar foods increase the likelihood of plaque build-up. If you do eat them, brush your teeth immediately afterwards. If you cannot brush right away, always rinse your mouth with clear water after eating sweet foods.
Eat with Care
• Carrot Sticks – Cut into thin curls.
• Apples – Slice into small wedges; don’t bite into an apple.
• Hard breads (French) – Take small pieces; chew carefully
• Pizza – Take small bites. Avoid eating the crust.
• Meats – Cut into mini bites and chew carefully.
• Crackers and Biscuits – Take small pieces; chew carefully.
• Peanut Butter – Soft only. Never eat “chunky” style.
A careful orthodontic patient can probably eat almost any food and do no damage to his or her appliances, however, use common sense or, if you are in doubt, ask our staff.
After your braces are placed:
• Three (3) hours after braces. No Food. Drink Malts or Soup.
• Three (3) days stay on soft diet.